Tanner Family

Tanner Family

Saturday, June 4, 2011

What to do if you over-cook your dry beans

First, let me write that my parents left Wednesday after visiting for a week and a half, and we had a great and busy time.  I have so many photos to post and blog about that I can't even begin to do it, so instead I'll post about other random stuff.  Sound like a plan?

So, what do you do if you over-cook a whole pound of dry beans because you foolishly follow the directions on the package?  You can make the following recipes.  Both turned out really great.  I used kidney beans for both of them, though one recipe calls for black beans and other for pinto.  I don't think it really matters what kind of beans you use.  I used my food processor (thanks, Bonnie!) to mash the beans for both recipes.


This first recipe can be found at http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/healthy-grain-free-brownies/  Pay no attention to the name of the blog.  I think I found this recipe doing a google search for homemade larabars months ago.

These are not as sweet as your typical brownie, but very moist and delicious.  I added the optional walnuts, but I think I'll leave them out next time because the texture was kind of weird since the brownies are so soft and moist and the walnuts are so hard.

Healthy Grain Free Brownies

2 cups black beans (or 1 can of no salt added)
3 lightly beaten eggs
1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or melted butter)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey (or other equivalent sweetener) 
1/2 cup chopped up bittersweet chocolate (or semi-sweet chips if you don’t mind the added refined sugar in them)
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts -optional
Making these could NOT be simpler. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8×8 pan. Toss all but the final 2 ingredients (the chopped up chocolate and walnuts) into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Fold in the chopped chocolate and walnuts. Pour into the pan and bake for about 30 minutes.


This recipe is one I acquired years ago at a Relief Society meeting about food storage.  



Andrew devoured this stuff.  
Spiced Bean Cake


¼ cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
2 cups mashed, cooked pinto beans
1 cup flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cloves
2 cups diced apples
¾ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped nuts
1 ½ tsp vanilla
(optional-4 Tbsp cocoa if chocolate cake is desired)

Cream butter or margarine with eggs. Blend in beans. Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture, blending well. Fold in apples, raisins, nuts, and vanilla. Pour into greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.

This recipe is a high-protein snack. You can substitute 1 cup of applesauce for the diced apples and butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment