Tanner Family

Tanner Family

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Penne Pasta with Tuna and Mozzarella


As promised in my previous post, here is one of my favorite pasta recipes. It is simple, easy, quick, and delicious. It probably isn't low-cal, but as I mentioned before, I made it with whole wheat pasta the other day and it was great. The original recipe was found in my mom's copy of Italian Cooking Encyclopedia. My comments/alterations are in italics.

1 lb. penne or other short pasta

1 Tbs capers, rinsed well

2 cloves garlic

3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley (I use Italian flat-leaf parsley, and I often use extra)

1 (7 oz) can tuna, drained (preferably canned in olive oil) (sometimes I use 2 cans of solid white Albacore since mine are only 5-oz each and that's not much tuna for 1 lb pasta)

5 Tbs olive oil

salt and black pepper (One of the keys to this dish is plenty of salt. Keep adding until it tastes right to you)

2/3 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small dice (Sometimes I go ahead and use the whole 8-oz ball of fresh mozz, and it's good)

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and drop in pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain. While the pasta cooks, chop the capers and garlic and combine with parsley, tuna, oil, and season with salt and pepper. Combine pasta, tuna sauce, and mozzarella in large frying pan (I just use the pot I boiled the pasta in; fewer pans to clean later). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until cheese just begins to melt. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment