Tanner Family

Tanner Family

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Food to Kick off Summer


I made these sandwiches a few weeks ago when we fed a couple of missionaries.  They were delicious, and perfect for getting in the mood for warmer weather.

Shredded Barbecue Chicken (from Southern Living's Slow Cooker cookbook)

1 1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs yellow mustard
1 tsp ground red pepper (this means cayenne, and I cut this amount in half, which I'm glad I did)
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Brown chicken 4 minutes on each side in 1 Tbs oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.  Remove from heat, add to a slow cooker, mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over the chicken.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then LOW 5 to 6 hours.  Remove chicken from sauce and shred, then add back to the sauce.  Serve on hamburger buns.  Makes 6 servings.  I doubled the recipe, and this made great leftovers.  I made these homemade hamburger buns, and they were quite good as well.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... yum! That looks so good. I love the recipes that Southern Living does, they are always so yummy.

    ReplyDelete