Tanner Family

Tanner Family

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Garden Update-Second and Final

Here are some pics of our garden as we will leave it when we move.  Our garden boxes are pretty much overflowing with growth.  Overall, I've been very happy with the success of this square foot garden idea.  I think next time I'll put some tomato cages or something around the bush beans so they don't encroach upon the surrounding plants so much.  I'll also put cages around my tomatoes when I plant them instead of after they are already starting to fall over, although it worked out just fine how I did it this time.  My corn doesn't look too great--it's got lots of yellow/dead leaves.  I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because that garden box was built over the remains of one of the spruce tree stumps in the yard so there isn't much room for their roots.  Despite that, the corn continues to grow and it looks like it will produce.

So far, the fruits from our garden have been: lots of basil (including a batch of pesto), two tomatoes, and about 1/2 lb of green beans.  Whoever moves into this house after us is going to gets lots of good produce.  The beans have just gotten going, there are tons of tomatoes on the two tomato bushes, and there is one beautiful eggplant and tons more flowers on the eggplant plant...plant plant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment